Saturday, February 23, 2013

44. Radiotherapy, part 10


Additional Effect #4


Mouth Ulcers


We have all had (probably) from time to time a mouth ulcer or two. So in the overall scheme of things, and compared to everything else this would seem pretty trivial. I don't know about you but i've 'never' had ulcers like this.

There's a scattering of ulcers below my bottom lip, that then cluster at the corners of my mouth. They then run the entire length of the inside of my cheeks in a continuous row as wide as my index finger, from there to the back teeth, where they cluster again in two big groups around the molars and the base of my tongue. They are all the size of button mushrooms.

The slightest movement of my tongue or jaw rubs my teeth against the ulcers. It's a constant irritant and any movement of the mouth makes me wince and groan, and that's with being dosed up on Co-codamol and Morphine. I shudder to think what it would be like without.

Brushing my teeth is physically impossible. For weeks my only oral hygiene option was regular rinsing with salt water then Hydrogen Peroxide and trying to us cotton buds instead of a tooth brush. After the first couple of weeks my breath was "rank".

The inside of my mouth would remain like this during the last few weeks of RT and for quite a few weeks afterwards. A couple of months if not more in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment