Sunday, January 15, 2012

14. Blood Test

Tuesday 10th January 2012, 10:00 AM


Grumpy, no! not me, her...


Today for first time I met a miserable member of hospital staff.


If you remember from 'Chapter 13, Nuclear Medicine' I need a blood test because after the first half dozen tests that I've had so far, my last one showed an anomalous result.


The Blood Test Dept. that I was sent to was overwhelmed, there were probably twenty or thirty people waiting, sitting, standing, in wheelchairs, with prams & crying babies etc.


I presented my self at the door to ask for my vials, and was told in no uncertain terms and a somewhat impatient manner to "take a number". I started to explain that... "just take a number, and wait your turn"...


I managed to explain my purpose but was met with incomprehension & obstruction "who sent you, where is your green slip, what's it for" etc. until a disembodied voice said "it's OK! he just needs his vials, i've got it... step this way".


Which way ?


Where are you ? a head with a smiling face appeared from behind a curtain and asked for my details. I told him my name and started to find my "patient and hospital numbers" but before I could finish he said "got you". He printed out the labels put the blood vials in a poly bag we bid our fare-wells, and off I went, job done...


One less needle to think about. Hooray !


Edited by Jo W, with thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment