Monday, January 2, 2012

9. Treatment ? part 1

Thursday 29th December 2011, 11:00 AM


'back' to the Royal 'again' for the post op consultation 


I see Mr Terry 'again' Jo comes straight in with me this time, "yes the left tonsil was the primary and now it is gone". Next step treatment, which will be handed over to Dr. Guerrero-Urbano and her team at Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital London. Mr Terry explains briefly ( at least half an hour ) about Chemo & Radio therapy, diet, dental work etc.



Our conversation about diet is, 'strained'. He's not overly impressed with the whole 100% Organic, Vegan / Vegetarian, near Macro Biotic 'thing', "just eat normally" he says, I think "I have been for almost 50 years, and now I have cancer". Even after being told that I'm not being held ransom to it and that over the Christmas & New Year period I eat meat, and cheese, and bread, and wine, and cake etc. His concern is weight loss, it's effects on recovery and it's impact on RT exposure mapping. So I get to keep my Panda Bear figure for a little longer.


We discuss "mental attitude" he tells me that one apparently significant factor in "expectancy & recovery" is attitude. Consultants deliberately avoid using the word "cancer", apparently far too many people are told they have cancer, give up and die of cancer. Not me. I tell him about Homer Simpson's 5 stages, see Chapter 3. I tell him that now I'm at the stage that...


"if one of the gods wants me dead then they can come and get me themselves, the bunch of lazy, little, fucking cowards"


He smiles, he likes my positive attitude.



My first appointment at Guys is for 9:00 AM 'the next day', no hanging around I have Oropharyngeal Carcinoma Stage T2N2C ).


Edited by Jo W, with thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment